This page is dedicated to all things related to research on leadership studies, including foundational aspect of transformational leadership.
Section 1: What is Leadership?
Section 2: Leaders Creating Leaders
Section 3: Understanding Yourself
Section 4: Emotional Intelligence
WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED LEADERSHIP?
Look at the changing demands on leadership and identity:
Leaders are good listeners
Leaders understand the context
Leaders ask great questions
Leaders understand the art of ‘See one. Do one. Teach one’
Leaders understand that knowing, telling are important traits. Even more important trait is the art of asking.
Leaders are continuous performers
Leaders understand the importance of consistent performance
Leaders manage ambiguity
Leaders get comfortable with being uncomfortable = Growth
Leaders focus on human feeling versus human doing
Leaders understand the difference between change and transformation
LEADERS CREATING LEADERS
Understanding Leadership Style
Roles and Responsibilities of Leaders
VIDEO 1: Leadership at PepsiCo: Indra Nooyi on 5 Cs of Leadership
VIDEO 2: Leadership Lessons from Zappos: Understanding Leadership versus Management
VIDEO 3: What is VUCA assessment? (Volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity)
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Exercise 1: Given these trends, what must we, as leaders, be able to do? What knowledge and skills are required?
Exercise 2: What are the major trends that will affect public, private, and non-profit sectors in coming twenty years?
Exercise 3: What is VUCA assessment? (Volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity)
BUILDING EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE (EQ)
1. Purpose – Improving EQ
2. Improving self-awareness
3. Being aware of emotions
4. Self-motivating, improving social skills
1. Self-awareness – accurately perceive your emotions and stay aware of them
2. Emotion regulation – the conscious control of your emotion and mood.
3. Self-motivation – Pursue goals with energy and persistence
5. Social skills – Manage relationships and build networks.
Read: Emotional Intelligence: What it is and Why you need it
LEADING SELF: KNOWING WHY, WHAT, HOW
1. “Help good leaders get even better – individually, in teams, organizations and life.”
2. Leadership Development Evolves from the Inside Out!
1. Establish expectations
2. Create a framework for development ( instead of getting coached intensely )
3. Master the art of managing oneself
4. Understand the importance of leadership style
5. Understand strengths/weaknesses, implications on others.
Being Effective –
1. Being Effective is a combination of
Doing the right things
Avoid doing the wrong things
Knowing how to respond when the difference is not always clear
Watch: Simon Sinek: Start with why -- how great leaders inspire action
You are in charge of your development – Peter Drucker
© 2018 by Jay Maharjan. All rights reserved.